Google Art Project
a still fromÂ Google Art Project – Behind the Scenes
The Google Art Project was launched at the end of last week.Â It works on the same principle at Streetview – except you’re walking the galleries of different museums rather than the streets of specific places.
The Art Project is a collaboration between Google and some of the world’s most acclaimed art museums. Powered by a broad, connected suite of Google technologies, the world’s great works of art and museums are now within reach to an unprecedented global audience.
It’s rather disorientating when it starts up as it comes in as a close-up on a work of art.
The Guardian get the kudos for making the most of this and have kicked off with aÂ Google Art Project: Guess the artwork â€“ quiz.
This is theÂ Google Art Project Visitor Guide video which was loaded onto YouTube last Friday.[VIDEO]
Here’sÂ some links to get you started:
- The Google Art project – You Tube Channel I like the fact that it is all the videos are visuals with music with no words.Â It demonstrates how you can use it.
- the anwer to the first frequently asked question – what is it
What is the â€˜Art Projectâ€™?
A unique collaboration with some of the worldâ€™s most acclaimed art museums to enable people to discover and view more than a thousand artworks online in extraordinary detail.
- Explore museums with Street View technology: virtually move around the museumâ€™s galleries, selecting works of art that interest you, navigate though interactive floor plans and learn more about the museum and you explore.
- Artwork View: discover featured artworks at high resolution and use the custom viewer to zoom into paintings. Expanding the info panel allows you to read more about an artwork, find more works by that artist and watch related YouTube videos.
- Create your own collection: the â€˜Create an Artwork Collectionâ€™ feature allows you to save specific views of any of the 1000+ artworks and build your own personalised collection. Comments can be added to each painting and the whole collection can then be shared with friends and family.
If you’d like to readÂ what the papers have to say about it here are links to various articles
- Google Art Project aims to shed new light on classic works of art The Guardian
- Art lovers offered virtual galleries Independent
- Visit world’s art galleries with Google Telegraph.co.uk
- Google brings art on a digital trolley Financial Times
- National Treasures: Google Art Project unlocks riches of world’s galleriesWashington Post
- Google Art Project Aims To Redefine Museum Experience–But Has Some Rough Edges Huffington Post
- Google launches Art Project – like Street View for museums USA Today