How to reset the password of a CISCO router
I took over a metropolitan network of the province of Córdoba, and is the former administrator change the password of the 5 router that has the company.
Cisco did not give me the support, so I had to resort to forums in Germany. A user claimed to be the solution, but gave me a fee.
The emergence of the case, not knowing it was configured as network routing, led me to pay.
While waiting for the mail, I found the solution in a Russian page … which almost coincided with what page.
Well, never again to let them suffer the same right solution.
- Connect to console port
- Use the power switch to power cycle the router.
- Issue the break sequence within 60 seconds of power up to put the router into ROMmon.
- Type “confreg 0×2142” at the rommon 1> prompt. (This changes the default configuration register and causes the router to bypass the startup configuration where the forgotten enable password is stored.The configuration register is usually set to 0×2102 or 0×102)
- Type no after each setup question, or press Ctrl-C to skip the initial setup procedure.
- Router> enable
- Router#copy start run
- Now, change the passwords and give no shutdown commands to interfaces
- R1(config)# config-register 0×2102 (To make the startup configuration effective while next booting)