This book is a concise companion for everyday Ubuntu use. It provides a good grounding in getting to grips with the Ubuntu 8.04 and 8.10 distributions.
Topics covered include:
- Installing & Configuring Ubuntu
- Learning how to use the desktop covering logging in, layout, virtual desktops, and useful applications
- Understanding how user accounts and the filesystem work
- Getting to grips with the command-line
- Software management including an overview of Synaptic, working with repositories, and a basic overview of compiling from source code
- Securing the system, including configuring a firewall, antivirus, and how to encrypt file and folders